Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Project Read On

When I first started learning more about Dr. Ron Paul, I was frustrated that virtually the only way to see videos about him was via youtube, which is not very accessible to me because very few videos are captioned or subtitled. A few weeks after discussions with supporters on Facebook and RonPaulForums, I was thrilled when the first subtitled video emerged, which was "When in the Course of Human Events" by Aravoth. I posted it on several Facebook groups that were deaf-themed, such as Deaf Professional Happy Hour and American Sign Language groups. Shortly after I did this, I became frustrated by the fact that nobody seemed to be responding to the video and the message within the video, so I went about in creating this blog so that there would be a place for all RP subtitled and captioned videos to be viewed at.

I really did not hear anything from anybody on Facebook, except for two individuals who felt that it was not appropriate for me to post the videos in those forums. One person in particular asked me why I had not worked on having such videos captioned for other candidates running to become the 44th President of the United States. My response was that I did not support those candidates, and that all of the work being done by hearing Ron Paul Supporters was done for free on their own without any compensation for their efforts. I was not about to go ask these kind folks to begin captioning Hillary or Obama videos for those who wanted them, but at the same time, if anyone out there was motivated to do such a thing, more power to them! It is my hope that by the 2012 or 2016 Presidential Campaigns, accessibility will be even better for deaf and hard of hearing folks, so that they can make informed decisions about who they believe to be the best candidates to vote for.

Thanks to John from Tampa, Florida, I just learned about this website called Project Read On. The website works by having two windows, one for the actual video, and one for the subtitled content that can be viewed in real-time simultaneously with the video. This is an amazing site, and for Hillary and Obama fans, this site has plenty of videos. I promise you, however, that I am going to try and get more Ron Paul videos on this site as well. Expect no less. Competition for increased subtitled videos amongst candidates can only be a good thing for the deaf community, not a bad thing, and I am hopeful that supporters from every campaign will take advantage of sites like Project Read On and Dotsub to improve accessibility for the deaf and hard of hearing voters across the country.

Currently, Project Read On's site has 4 RP videos, and they are:

- Ron Paul s first video announcing his candidacy
- Flying Under the Radar: Ron Paul for President
- Congressman Ron Paul at the GOP Presidential Debate
- Ron Paul on Tucker Carlson on 6/6/07.

Because they are already transcribed, it will be a cinch for me to use the google video .srt function and embed the subtitles onto the video to make it more viewer friendly. Once I get all four of those videos done, I will embed them onto this blog for all of you to enjoy. In the meantime, feel free to check out Project Read On to see what they already have.